Saturday, 7 July 2012

#dwsr: Bute Esplanade - 5th April 2012


Doctor Who filming
Bute Esplanade, Cardiff Bay
5th April 2012
WARNING: This post contains spoilers in white text.  If you wish to read them, highlight the section. 
--
  This was far from my first attempt at watching the filming of Doctor Who but it was my first successful attempt.  Before Bute Esplanade I had visited Southerndown, Penarth and Cardiff but due to a combination of a lack of confidence, bad weather and simple timing issues I didn’t stay and watch.  This is what led to me promising that the next time I got word of filming I would stay.

  Lo and behold, two days after I made that promise I found out on Twitter that there was filming at Bute Esplanade that day.  Good thing it was the Easter holidays for me and I had the entire day (turns out I didn’t need that long but whatever, it was a good day.)  The weather was good, bit cold but that’s to be expected, lucky for me and Dani there’s a cheap car park right next to the location. 

   So we park up and almost immediately see the TARDIS in the playground by the houses.  I paid up for twenty-four hours, overkill but at least that way I wasn’t going to just leave early. And we decided to take a walk around to see if there were any good spots with a clear view of the location itself.  After all of that we just decided to stick by the wall that separated the houses from the field and car park, mostly because we weren’t sure which way the cameras would be facing but also partly because we had a good view from where we were.
The TARDIS
                                                             
  It was another hour before things really started to get interesting, Dani nudged me while I was checking Twitter for information and pointed towards the house.  “It’s Karen, she’s just appeared.”  Of course me being me, I didn’t notice Karen at all (which, if you know what Karen Gillan looks like, is pretty hard to do) until Arthur turned up a few minutes later.

  We watched for a while but couldn’t see much so I suggested moving along the wall to a spot where we got a much better view.  From here we could make out dialogue and try and piece together the scene itself.  For the next hour we watched Karen and Arthur wave at the TARDIS then talk to each other before Karen went inside and Arthur did this funny little dance/jump before following her.
Karen and Arthur before a rehearsal



video

                                           video             
                                                               
  Then they went off for break and I went to get more batteries from the car before they got back.  What we saw next caused a few wide-eyed looks and worried theorising in the car.

 SPOILERS: Arthur stormed out of the house with his coat in his hands as Karen followed him and yelled “I hate this!” as he walked down the street, then Karen started crying. 

   They repeated that for another half an hour before wrapping for the day.
  All in all, the first set reporting experience was something I thoroughly enjoyed and something I would (and do) continue to do. 

For more photos from the day, click here:  http://doctorwhosetreportphotos.shutterfly.com/pictures/8

No comments:

Post a Comment